Saturday, June 11, 2011

Back to Running

Decided to chance a run today since I had some spare time in the evening. My ankle is better now, and I've been confident enough to go without an ankle guard for my regular training sessions, even though there's still the occasional jolt of pain if I'm not careful.

One of the great things running around your neighbourhood is the level of control you have over your run. I wasn't sure how far or how long I was going to run today since I was coming back from a long break. But rather than limit myself, I decided to listen to my body and go by how I was feeling overall.

Since I was generally familiar with the area, I could set shifting milestones to mark my routes.This allowed me to set an unambitious end point when I first started the run, but as I was approaching it, I changed it to a further location since I was still feeling good.

Another fun part of my runs is that I'm always exploring a new area, even if it's just a different lane. I like to set a general direction to run towards, but pick a slightly different road or backlane each time, affording me some variety and the occasional nice surprise. Like tonight, I accidentally revisited a nostalgic area of my teenage years without realising how near I was to it all this while.

All these help to keep me going during the run and engaged in the moment so I don't get bored or feel tired.

Halfway through though, I did feel some aching in the left ankle surprising, while my right ankle with the torn ligament had no pain at all and was in fact strong throughout the entire run. The ache shifted up to my left knee and remained there as a weak pain for the rest of the run.

At first I was able to cope with it, but after 20 minutes or so without it subsiding, I started to feel a little hesitant and decided not to push it, ending my run at the one hour mark. This cut my plan to finish the run at a longer distance and time of 90 minutes.

That said, I guess it's still not too bad considering I haven't ran in a long while. I probably need to ease my joints in to the sudden running movement again and I should be able to gun for the 90 and 120 minute marks soon.

Shoes of choice was the recent addition to my collection, the Soft Star RunAmoc Original Lites. These are super comfortable shoes that wear like moccasins and I'm loving them to bits! They are even more comfortable and breathable than my Five Fingers and slide on and off just as easily. Will probably do a review on them soon.

A week of rest, and hopefully another long run next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment