Thursday, April 14, 2011

Terra Plana Vivobarefoot Neo

Awhile ago, I mentioned my search for a pair of water-resistant if not water proof minimalist shoes, which led me to the Vivobarefoot Neo. Initially, I was looking at the Evo design because of how nice it looked and the number of good reviews it received. I was pleasantly surprised to discover a Plana Terra store locally, but they were out of Evo sizes for me. Instead, the attendant recommended the new Neo.

From comparisons online, the local store offers competitive prices which makes it much more sensible to shop from the store despite some lack of sizes and designs. The upside is potential discounts during sales, and the opportunity to do a thorough fitting for sensitive things such as shoes! The Neos are cheaper than the Evos too, so I bit the bullet. After putting it through much use, here's my thoughts on it.

Design
The Neos are a pair of pretty shoes! There are 4 colour choices, each with its own tone and accents. While I eventually settled for the black/yellow pair, my initial pair was the white/red/grey one. It was such a lovely pair of shoes that grew on me, and I was almost tempted to get the same design when I exchanged the shoes for a larger size. In fact, I loved it so much that I photographed the white/red/grey pair instead of my black/yellow ones.


However, given that this were going to be my wet weather shoes, it didn't make sense to get whites that would might well turn brown the moment I splash into a puddle. I'm not a great fan of cleaning, and I was advised not to machine wash the Neos due to the mesh, using a toothbrush instead. In the end, practicality trumped fashionability on this one, and I convinced myself to stick to the black ones for easier maintenance.


The shoes are very aesthetically designed, featuring a mesh upper with suede at the sides, giving it a classy look. The selective use of accents also help to make the shoes pop and look eye-catching. From any angle, these look like an upmarket pair of running shoes. They are also very versatile and look good for a casual evening out. I've drawn compliments from a number of people who've seen me in my Neos.


The Neo has an antibacterial, removable insole, which I promptly removed after a couple of walks as I preferred more ground feel.

Fit
I had some initial difficulties getting the right fit for the Neo. While I fit snugly into a pair of size 40s at the shop with the size 41s feeling too large, the size 40s soon became too tight when moving around, the reason being the way the foot lengthens and splays during movement. I did notice the potential problem in the shop, but it felt like the slight bit of space I had was enough to accommodate once I got used to the shoes.


Unfortunately, that didn't happen. There was ample room for my big toe, but not my little toe, which soon developed a blister from the constant rubbing. I suspect this is partially due to the toe box being insufficiently wide, something I've seen several other comments mentioned, although it also depends on your foot width.


Luckily, the staff were happy to help me with an exchange to the size 41s, one of the great things of local purchases. While the 41s felt a little too roomy at first, I soon grew accustomed to them. There's still a tad too much space between the tip of the shoe and my toes, but at least now the shoes are wide enough to accommodate the width of my foot. It doesn't affect my running at all, although I did had some initial difficulties doing agility work with it, the shifting making it difficult to brake and shift directions suddenly.

Using a lace system, the shoes offer a great and snug fit once properly tightened. I like my lace shoes slightly loose for easy slip on and off, and the Neos work great in this respect. Most times I can put on and pull of the shoes very quickly, while it still remains sufficiently snug for running about. It also fits great with or without socks.

Barefoot Feel
The Neo offers a great barefoot feel once you remove the insole, although it's still different from being able to wiggle your toes freely a la the Vibrams. The sole is 4mm thick, and feels like the TrekSport when it comes to ground transmission. The insole provides additional cushion for those who feel they need it, but as a trade off removes quite a bit of ground feel.

The shoes are still quite flexible though, I can easily bend it toe to heel, and it offers little resistance to movement when worn. While I'm not sure what the shoes weigh in at, they are also very light, just slightly heavier than my Vibram KSOs.

As expected of minimalist shoes, there is no heel and arch support, while the heel is zero-drop.

Usage
The shoes are marketed as a pair of cross-trainers and should suit a wide variety of activities, although the mesh upper would make me hesitate bringing these on trail runs. Given their aesthetics, these are also a great pair of going-out shoes. They are my default when I need to meet new clients or parents, and in more formal situations where finger shoes might not be appropriate.

Besides my Classics, these are my next most worn pair of shoes for my walkabouts. While I did buy them for their water resistance, I was still a little hesitant because of the mesh uppers. However, they worked better than expected in wet environments, and I've managed to keep my feet dry even in light rain. This probably has something to do with the hydrophobic mesh upper stated as one of the features. Despite the water resistance, it still remains fairly breathable and my feet are not soaked in sweat after a day's walk.


The shoes are quite comfortable to wear with the cushioned insole, although footbed without the insole is slightly rougher with minimal cushioning. It's not a big issue though, and the texture helps to provide a little grip to reduce shifting when worn without socks and insole. The mesh uppers feel decent against the skin, though nowhere near as comfortable as the softer Vibram uppers. There was some initial chafing just below my right big toe, but that has since disappeared. That said, compared to your average running shoes, these are great for their comfort and lightness.


They also feature an interesting outsole design, with hexagonal patterns that supposedly offer more flex and better grip. It is also puncture resistant. Looking at the sole, I expected the small hex protrusion in the middle of the larger hex to wear pretty quickly, but so far only the ones on the V has faded, the rest are still there. Grip is excellent, and I've been able to move on wet terrain with minimal slippage.


Overall, the Vivobarefoot Neo are a great pair of minimalist shoes and an awesome alternative for those who can't get used to the Vibram look, are unable to fit in a pair, or not willing to fork out the local prices for it. It is also a great pair of casual shoes, making it a worthwhile bang for your buck.

6 comments:

  1. I got a pair of Neo (green color) as well, similar thought on bringing the shoe out to the trail due to the upper mesh. Running wise, took them up to the Hong Kong Peak, similar as the vibram bikila but prbly a bit more crushion. Overall a good pair of shoe, only downside would prbly be there no half size in between. If u interested for trail run, prbly you want to look at the Merrel Trail gloves which is also available in Singapore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I feel the Bikila's got more cushion, but that's because I took out the insoles of the Neo.

    Yes, I've heard of Merrell, but not too big a fan of their designs. Where is it available in Singapore?

    ReplyDelete
  3. RSH, only at selected stores. Selling like hot cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really? I went to poke around at Vivo's RSH on Tuesday and didn't see it. Which branches have it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bought my at Taka Stadium. They told me Vivo should also carry as well thou, prbly you want to give them a ring first.

    ReplyDelete