Saturday, February 5, 2011

Day 1

This is it. My first day on my new running regime and my first run of the year. I've just came back from my first evening run in my Vibram KSOs. Talk about the number of firsts in one day.

It's been awhile, but the last time I ran I could do 30 minutes, so I decided to keep to it even in the Vibrams. I supposed that since I'm barefoot whenever I can, my feet should be sufficiently strong to handle it.

Well, I was partially right. The 30 minute run was bearable, and I loved how light I felt in the Vibrams. However, walking around for a few days in them are still different from running in them.

For the first 5 minutes, I could hear the pounding of my feet on the pavement, which I found rather odd since I should be landing lighter and absorbing the impact on my natural suspension system.

Gradually, I tried softening the sound and impact with my calves, so it became much quieter after that, at the expense of my calf muscles. I suspect that's something to do with my gait, incorrectly adjusted for the Vibrams.

There's also a light pain on my right knee, which I felt the last time I ran a few months back. I suspect it's my IT band, though this time round the pain is lighter and only on one side instead of both. Hopefully this will improve in subsequent runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment