Sunday, February 27, 2011

Vibram Classic

Alright, I didn't run over the weekend because of the nagging pain in my right foot. Not about to take chances with any injuries, so I shall make it up by talking about the Classics. At least I'm still keeping my mind on running, haha!

I've been wearing them for walking around and running, so might as well pen down some of my thoughts. It's seen the most use so far among my Vibrams, simply because I walk around so much and probably clock more distance walking than running.


Design
The Classic are the first iteration of the FiveFingers, presumably that's why it's called Classic. However, colour options are sadly limited though, with 3 for the men, and 4 for the ladies. I went for the Walnut because black was too boring, while I'm not really a fan of green. If I ever get another pair though, I might swing for a Mauve or 'Stormy Sea' from the ladies.


The main reason why I went for the Classics was because I wanted something for a daily walkabout and casual wear. The Classics are easy enough to slip on and off quickly like slippers, and the walnut colour lends a cosy, casual feel to it. Perfect complement to my laid-back look!

Again, like most Vibrams, this is machine washable and comes with the Aegis anti-microbial treatment on the insole. I've dumped this into the wash a number of times now in a laundry bag, and it's held up well so far. I was initially afraid the sole might peel off because it's just glued on, but it's been fine.

Fit 
The Classics apparently run one size smaller than the KSOs from the sizing chart, so I ordered a size 41 online this time. From some research I've done post-purchase though, it seems Vibrams in general are not very consistently produced, with sizes varying slightly across colours and designs. As it turns out, my Classics are a little tighter than my KSO size 40s.


This does present a dilemma for me, which at present I'm not certain whether it's going to lead to potential problems. My right little toe is about half a cm longer than my left little toe, which means it gets a little scrunched up in the toe pocket even in the KSOs. I get used to it after awhile and stretch out the material a bit. But for the Classics, it doesn't stretch out enough and always feels a little tight on the little toe, giving the overall foot a slightly cramped feeling. Not sure if this is what caused the injury in the first place, since the pain is only acute in Classics.


The tightness is only on the right foot though, the left foot fits perfectly. It's extremely easy to put on, and remains snug on my foot. The tightening system uses and elastic cord that runs around the edge of the upper to the back of the heel. I don't need to tighten the elastic cord and it stays on fine, even when running. The only thing that irritated me at first was the heel tab, as it kept poking at my Achilles tendon. Nowadays I don't really notice it anymore though. Either I got used to it or there's been a change in my walking gait.

Barefoot Feel
Of all my Vibrams so far, the KSO, Treksport and Classic, the Classics give me the best barefoot feel as I can really feel the ground with this. I take delight in purposely stepping over textured surfaces just to feel the ground through the Classics. The website doesn't state the thickness of the soles for the Classics, but I've a feeling it's slightly thinner than the KSO.


However, the insole also feels a little more compact and hard, like the sole of a shoe that's been worn in for a long time. The other shoes feel softer and more comfortable in this respect. That said, it doens't seem to affect the flexibility at all, as the shoes can be bent or flexed in anyway you can imagine. It literally is a foot glove! It's lighter than the KSO too, at 150grams on each side.


The shoes have no heel and arch support, and are zero drop, as expected from minimalist shoes.

Usage
The 'official' uses for the Classics are fitness, travelling, yoga/pilates and after sports, although quite a number of people run and climb in them too. I use it for daily walkabouts and the occasional run. The small size will also see it becoming a backup shoe for me on longer runs and when travelling.


This pair of shoes has the most battered look among my lot despite less than a month of use because it's been through at least two downpours. I don't typically carry an umbrella, and had to walk for 15 minutes in the rain one time, with only my bag covering my head. Needless to say, the Classics were thoroughly soaked. Unfortunately, the Classics do not exactly dry fast, and I was left with soggy feet the rest of the day, even though I took it off for about 90 minutes at one point hoping it would dry out a bit.


On the upside though, it didn't display any sole problems unlike my KSOs. Everything is still intact and it has yet to fall apart.

The interesting razor-sipped sole also has a pretty good grip. So far, I've only experienced minor slips on certain smooth surfaces when I try hard to test its grip. Even in the rain, I was very surefooted and felt that I could run comfortably if I needed to.


My favourite thing about the Classics is the ease of wearing, and how much more breathable it is compared to the KSO. It's almost like a slipper except that my toes are covered. Since the rest of the instep is exposed, my foot hardly feels warm and stuffy.

Overall, this would be my favourite pair of Vibrams, if not for the as of now minor cramping in the right little toe. I'd love to try out different colours at some point and hopefully find a pair that fits better.

No comments:

Post a Comment