Thursday, March 3, 2011

Vibram TrekSport

Initially, I was considering a pair of TrekSport or KSO Trek for trail running on my rare visits back to Penang. However, in terms of value, it didn't seem like an intelligent investment to drop a hefty sum of cash for something I'd only use a few times. Regardless, I didn't have much of a choice when I was forced to take it after having to swap my defective pair of KSOs in, since they didn't have sizes for other shoes.

Anyway, so here I am with a pair of TrekSports, sharing my thoughts on it.


Design
The TrekSport comes in a nice variety of colours, with 4 for the men, and 4 for the ladies, although they share two common colours. While I would have loved to the get champagne/red or the red/black, the local store only had a pure black variant of the TrekSport. From the official Vibram website, that colour is no longer available, and is a black/charcoal variant instead.


In terms of looks, the TrekSport is quite similar to the the KSOs although there are some improvements in features. The strap now has two small strips of reflectors and one more small one behind. These seem to be mostly decorative, going by their size and position. Another notable feature that has a cosmetic effect is the TPU toe reinforcement to help reduce wear and tear at the toe area, giving it a slightly reflective black shade.


This model features a thicker 4mm outsole and has an EVA midsole for plating protection, as well as the standard Aegis anti-microbial treatment.

Fit
The TrekSport is a newer model that comes after the KSO, and follows the same size chart. As such, I went with the same size 40 on my KSOs. Since I got to try this out at the store, they fit pretty well. There's still the nagging issue of my horrible little toe, but it's almost unnoticeable once I start running in these. I've also worn my Injinji toe socks in these, and it still fits snug without becoming constricting.


Similar to the KSOs, putting it on can be a little difficult at first due to the snug upper, but once it's on it stays on. The tightening system is also similar, with a dual function velcro strap that loops around the heel to tighten both the lateral side and the heel area.


One new adjustment over the KSOs is the wider and cushier heel tab, which results in a more comfortable fit when the back of the shoe presses against the Achilles tendon. The TrekSports are also fairly stretchy and forgiving in the sizing, so I suppose they will fit better over time.

Barefoot Feel
Given how the TrekSport is slightly thicker and the way the outsole is designed, the ground feel for it is much reduced compared to the KSOs or Classics. I suppose this is a necessary trade-off for more foot protection since this is supposed to be a trail running shoe. I can still feel the ground much better compared to other shoes, but once I slap on a pair of socks, it's pretty muted.


The flexibility of the shoes go down a bit too because of the slightly stiffer mid-sole. There's still a lot of flex though, so it shouldn't really affect running activity. It weighs in a little heavier at about 180grams on each side.


All else is as expected from minimalist shoes, with no heel and arch support, and a zero drop.

Usage
These shoes are designed primarily for trekking, hence the namesake, although it can obviously be used for running and travelling as well. It's supposed to be rugged and tough and all that jazz.


However, I have my concerns with this pair of shoes. Since I don't go trail running much, my primary running surface is on asphalt, which I believe it's much harder wearing on the sole than trails. Trails may be uneven, rough, and peppered with the occasional rock, but at least the overall surface is still going to be softer than concrete pavement or road asphalt. That said, I haven't ran trails in these, so I could be wrong.


Regardless, the sole of the TrekSport is much different from the KSO and Classic. Instead of the razor sipping, they've gone with textured surfaces and grooves, giving it a much more aggressive grip. However, the last time I saw protrusions and spikes made of rubber at the bottom of my footwear, they flattened out in two weeks. As such, I have my doubts, and I'm keeping these in the back burner for when I finally find time to go trail running.


In the meantime though, it has held up decently for the few runs I've used it for, as well as a game of badminton. The sole grips well on a variety of surfaces, despite my initial concern that it might slip on the smoother surface of a multi purpose hall.

The upper is similar to the KSO, and is very breathable but not at all water resistant. I enjoy wearing these without socks like my KSOs, but socks are a necessary evil to me for longer runs so I don't stink up my shoes too quickly.

Overall, the TrekSport is feels rugged and offers great foot protection, but it comes at a cost of heavier and thicker shoes, reducing some amounts of ground feedback. This will probably not become my main running shoes, but it's a good backup to have on those trail running occasions.

No comments:

Post a Comment