Friday, March 25, 2011

Knee Conditioning

During the PPT, there was this middle aged triathlon in my group. I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask him for a little advice on preparation for long distance running.

One of the things that he mentioned which I haven't really considered was leg conditioning through hillwork. I had taken it for granted that my legs and joints would toughen up with more runs, but now that I think about it, I could just as easily sustain an injury.

I've hurt my knees in training a couple times before, twisting or hyperextending them. Since the start of the year though, I've been taking glucosamine to help with joint recovery and my knees haven't had any major problems in a long time.

However, the nagging ITB pain during runs and the fleeting feelings of weakness that pop up every now and then post-run is making me reconsider my position.

In looking for suitable hillwork terrain though, my current neighbourhood is really flat, and I'm not willing to travel too far as I have difficulty slotting in runs as it is.

For the time being I guess I'll have to take it slow and listen to my body. I'll probably give myself more time in the one hour region before trying for two.

No comments:

Post a Comment