Saturday, March 26, 2011

Running with Company 2

Just came back from a 45 minute run with a friend, and I gotta say I'm feeling better than ever! Still feel like I'm fresh enough for another run! No knee pains this time either, I could feel the right ITB threatening to give my problems, but fortunately it never got further than just a little discomfort.

That said, the pace was a little slower at my 75% MHR, but extremely comfortable for me. We decided not to overdo it since my friend was coming back from a long running break.

Did a couple of sprints up gentle slopes in between to test my actual MHR, and seems like my heart rate monitor is fairly accurate after all, clocking my heart rate after the sprints at close to my theoretical MHR.

Also experimented with a few different gaits, and found a light, springy one that I might try again for faster speeds. I lean forward a bit and it feels like I'm falling forward, but I catch myself with my foot and use the bounce to propel forward. I'm sure there's a name for it, but too lazy to find out.

Incidentally, I introduced my friend to the idea of the barefoot running after hearing how hard her feet were pounding on the pavement. She tried landing forefoot first and instantly the pounding disappeared while she told me she felt lighter. Good to know it's not only in my mind and glad to have spread the word!

The evening scenery was great as well, a change from my usual routes around housing estates. This was more long quiet stretches of road with foliage on the side. Very serene and calming for running. Never thought I'd say this, but I enjoyed the run tremendously!

But that's the whole point isn't it? I'm starting to see what people who love running see. For me, I guess the most profound thing is just remembering how important it is to enjoy the run. Running shouldn't be a chore, it should be fun!

Hopefully I still feel this way when I have to clock longer distances for the marathon. Heh.

Shoes-wise, this would be my first run in my Vivobarefoot Neos, without the insole but with toe socks. The shoes were more comfortable than expected on the run, probably because the socks helped to prevent chafing. They were also very light and flexible, and I felt like I was flying during my sprints.

Curious to see now hoe these would compare to my Bikilas when they arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment