Saturday, March 5, 2011

45 Minutes

Ok, after giving myself a week to recover from the right foot pain, I went back for another run. To be safe though, I wore my Injinji toe socks and the Treksports for more padding in case I hurt my right foot again.

Also, the experience taught me that maybe my gait was wrong and I should consider changing it up a bit. Instead of landing most of it on the ball of my foot and rolling it back, I tried landing on the blade of my foot and rolling it inwards. Seems to work better, and there's not much pounding sounds on the pavement either.

Decided to take it easy first, but after awhile I started to feel good, with just the occasional nagging pain of the right ITB, so I decided to extend my run and explored a new part of the neighbourhood. Tried to see if I could hit a longer running duration since I wasn't so focused on speed.

By the time I finished exploring the new area and cut back, it was almost 40 minutes, so I took a small detour and ended up reaching back to clock about 48 minutes. Not too bad I'd say. Legs were a little light after that, but based on the soreness levels I'd guess I'd only need one day to recover.

Also gingerly tested for the right foot pain, and it was mostly gone. I can feel the weakness there, but no flaring pain like what I initially experienced. Good sign that means I'll probably be fully recovered by the next run.

Overall, I'm happy with the progress. The goal here is to get to 1 hour plus runs and maintain those on a weekly basis. When I feel good enough, might try for 2 hours or longer to cop a feel for half-marathon lengths.

No comments:

Post a Comment