Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Spanking New Heart Rate Monitor

Ever since I've had the flight of fancy that I might be doing runs, I'd been thinking of investing in a heart rate monitor. However, the few times I've popped in and out of running shops, the HRMs cost a bomb! The Polar watches are $170 odd and up. That's way too much in my books when I just need to know how fast my heart is beating. Don't really need to know how many calories I burnt and all those extra features that jack up the price.

On this particular day though, I happened to walk by the Running Lab in Tampines 1 and they were having sale. Thought I'd try my luck again to hunt for something around the $100 mark. After browsing around, I managed to find ONE model that was on half price! Hell yeah! Unfortunately, it was the ladies' model.

But me being cheapskate me, I checked with the staff, and apparently the only difference was the design, so I decided to pick it up anyway. That's when I realised there was still additional discount off this item. Talk about luck! It must be fated that I'm to pick up running this year, haha. So in the end, I paid $79 for a Sportline Duo 1025 HRM. Not sure how the price and function compares to other HRMs out there, since I didn't do my research, but it fulfills all the basic functions I need.

To be honest, I didn't even know that HRMs came with a chest strap or required one. But luckily this 'budget' model I bought can take my heart rate from just touching the watch or by using the provided chest strap. Don't know how accurate it is without the chest strap, but it's fun being able to take my heart rate anytime and see how it fluctuates with my daily activities.

Seems like my usual heart rate fluctuatates between 70-100 when I'm out and about, but my RHR is 56-60 thereabouts. Ok, I was hoping I'd have a lower RHR to show that I'm 'fit', but hanging out at the bottom of the normal range is still decent, I guess. Now I just need to keep training my cardio until I can get it down to 50 or maybe even 40! Then I can consider myself an athlete, hahaha.

Wishful thinking, I know. Don't know if wearing the HRM fries my brain or something. Still, it's a goal. Lower RHR, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment