Friday, March 25, 2011

Physical Proficiency Test

Just finished the PPT at NIE and boy am I crushed. Passing the test is a requirement to apply as a PE teacher but I have this feeling I failed one of the stations.

It's a real downer as I had high hopes of doing well, addressing my greatest weaknesses one by one to prep for it. From a non-swimmer, I started to swim 3 times a week until I became comfortable doing laps in the pool. From having two left feet, I learnt how to cartwheel.

But I guess we can't transform overnight, and years of a non-sporting lifestyle came back to haunt me. My badminton was terrible as I was too tense and kept missing shots, while my team possession game was nowhere near stellar as well.

However, the most heartbreaking of all was the agility test that I most likely failed. I was a little worried about this station coming in for the test as I had not been doing sprints and shuttle runs for a long while.

It wasn't so much my fitness that killed me though, it was my shoes! It's been a long while since I did any speedwork in shoes, and I've totally forgotten how different it is from barefoot. I usually wear my running shoes somewhat loosely and that serves it purposes for long runs. But for sprints that require braking and changing of directions, the loose fit makes it extremely difficult to brake sideways without losing my balance or having my shoes come off.

I spent precious few milliseconds trying to compensate on each turn that I came in a good 46 milliseconds behind the passing mark. Now I can only keep my fingers crossed that the time keeper had a slightly different timing from the guy who kept time for me.

Oh well, two more weeks till the results are out, and there's still a chance for a May retest, so I'll see how it goes. The next time I do the runs though, I'm definitely going shoes off.

Update: Just got home and checked the cut-off for the agility test. Looks like I was misinformed and I'm a couple of milliseconds within the passing time. Hopefully the timekeeper's watch had a similar passing time too.

No comments:

Post a Comment